Cemeteries are not only an important part of our communities and our culture; they also provide maintained green spaces in urban and suburban areas.
Calvary Cemetery owns and maintains one of the largest green spaces in the Miami Valley. Currently we mow 110 acres of turfgrass area. This space contains on average 15 trees per acre. Also Calvary places hundreds of annual and perennial plants into the landscape including shrubs, ornamental grasses, and flowers. Since 1990 our tree management program removes about 10 damaged or dead trees per year while planting an average of 15 new trees annually. In the southwest portion of the property is a 90 acre forest in reserve for future use. The need for this space will take place slowly over the next estimated 200 years or more.
- Grass plants are 70 to 80% water
- Grass clippings are 90% water
- Grass clippings contain 4% nitrogen, 2% potassium and 0.5% phosphorus
- A 10,000 square foot lawn will contain:
6 grass plants per square inch
850 plants per square foot
8.5 million plants total
Today’s improved turfgrass varieties are very effective in reducing pollution.
- Turfgrass traps and removes dust and dirt from the air.
- 2,500 square feet of lawn absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and release enough oxygen for a family of four to breathe.
Trees and the Environment
- Trees renew our air supply by absorbing carbon dioxide and producing oxygen.
- The amount of oxygen produced by an acre of trees per year equals the amount consumed by 18 people annually. One tree produces nearly 260 pounds of oxygen each year.
- One acre of trees removes up to 2.6 tons of carbon dioxide each year.
- Shade trees can make buildings up to 20 degrees cooler in the summer.
- Trees lower air temperature by evaporating water in their leaves.
- Tree roots stabilize soil and prevent erosion.
- Trees improve water quality by slowing and filtering rain water, as well as protecting aquifers and watersheds.
- The cottonwood tree seed is the seed that stays in flight the longest. The tiny seed is surrounded by ultra-light, white fluff hairs that can carry it on the air for several days.